Friday, May 01, 2009

the pandemic

I’m sick of hearing about the Swine Flu.  I must have missed the early reports about it being deadly, etc because all I’m seeing is articles about it not being as bad as feared, one fatality in the US, and less severe than the miscellaneous other strains of influenza that we’ve endured this year.  In one day I received advisory warnings from the school, the office and the cub scouts.  I’m receiving emails from friends scattered near and far checking on our health and well being.  We’ve had large gatherings like the Scout Show and MayFest cancel but are still having the elementary school dance and baseball games (if the fields dry out).

3 comments:

-lyn said...

I know how you feel about the flu alerts.
But, just to keep it all in context: I caught the Asian flu when I was in high school, and I was totally, totally miserable. Sickest I've ever been in my life. If I could've avoided that by having had events canceled, I would've voted for that in a heartbeat.
Also, and more seriously, Grandmother Bishop's mother died of Spanish flu during that epidemic.
Just to keep an historical perspective on things.
I love you. Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm all for taking precaution, but I do understand about things being a bit out of proportion. Every time there's an earthquake in Japan, my mother phones to make sure I'm okay!

-lyn said...

Oh, yeah - Tracy's comment reminded me - I do hope you noticed that I didn't call you about it!!!!