Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Extra work?!?

Sheela brought home her practice TAKS scores this week. She did very well, in my opinion, 36 out of 38 and 39 out of 40 fro reading and math. I not only had to acknowledge that I'd seen her scores I had to choose a method for her extra practice. She can stay in from recess one day a week and work with the teacher, stay after school one day to work with a teacher or bring home extra practice sheets to do at home. She chose to give up a recess, but was curious as to why she needed extra practice. I'll admit I was satisfied with the scores and didn't think it appropriate to assign extra work. I guess there is always room for improvement.

It turns out that it wasn't getting three questions wrong that earned her the extra work. She didn't show all of her work on all of the problems. In the true TAKS test it doesn't matter for the scoring but they want to make the point that the method matters.

No comments: