Monday, March 30, 2009

Unusual day

Sunday was a rarity for me.  I went a full day without reading anything.  I can’t remember the last time that happened.  The kids and I helped the Cub Scouts help their charter church set up for their consignment sale.  Mostly we unloaded the pieces and parts of the racks and shelves and then helped assemble them.  It was more fun that it sounds and I was glad we went for a couple of reasons.  First I like the kids to help out as often as possible.  It’s a good habit to develop.  Second as the Cubmaster pointed out, our charter organization rarely requests assistance and without them we wouldn’t have a pack.  Third it was fun.  Fourth it got us out of the house and almost a third of the time we were outside and fifth they feed us chili, chips and chocolate.  The white chili was particularly good.

 

After that we dropped Sheela at the house and Sunil and I came up to the office to install my cube shelves.  I’m packrat enough to want to keep all of this junk close to hand but overwhelmed enough that I can’t work productively with it all on my desk at the same time.  They worked out just as intended.  Now I need to bring in the two pictures I’ve been saving for out here and the book ends to neaten up the piles.

 

Then I sewed on Sunil’s new rank and awards.  The rank was pinned on (upside down) until he performed a good deed.  He thinks he earned the right to flip it right side up by working as Sheela’s slave for a day but I’m counting the consignment sale set up from this morning.  The rest of the stuff I thought I’d already done.  But it turns out I ironed it all on but didn’t go back to stitch them on.  They all fell off the first time he wore them.  So in addition to his Wolf badge I had to sew on six arrow points and replace last year’s quality patch with this year’s.  He has one more award (world conservation) but I don’t know where it goes.  That’s probably just as well as my fingers are numb from pushing and pulling on the needle.

 

I even spent a few minutes out in the yard working with the compost pile and the jasmine bushes.  It was a beautiful day.

1 comment:

-lyn said...

Re: replacing ironed-on badges ...
oh, Karin, I'm sorry I was such a bad example for you! That whole little scene sounded eerily familiar...
Mom