Thursday, April 26, 2007

BC.... farther away than I thought

I loved Vancouver. It was very pretty and the people were great. I was impressed by our vendor, particularly the eyes of their quality inspector. I managed to take a ride up a gondola to the top of Grouse Mountain. I walked around in the snow and watched the snowboarders trudge by. Then I went back down to the beaches to sit out rush hour. I got back to my hotel in time to watch the Dallas Stars lose the seventh game to the Vancouver Cannucks. I slunk out of the bar quietly to go back to my room -- but not before polishing off the white fudge brownie sundae.

The flight home turned out to be 10 hours longer than scheduled. We were right on time entering Dallas airspace the first time but we didn't beat the storms. We diverted over to Midland/Odessa to wait it out. They weren't able to get us off of the plane (the gates were all full and we didn't have out own stairs) but they managed to bring in a few pizzas.... 60 slices for 150 people. They did try.

After four hours we went back to Dallas only to find that we were so far back in the pecking order we would run out of fuel so we went to Oklahoma City. This time we were able to get a gate and were allowed to stretch our legs and use the bathrooms. Unfortunately it was after 9PM and ALL of the snack bars/restaurants were already closed. We couldn't get any food or buy any more reading materials (I finished my book long before Odessa). We didn't get back to Dallas until midnight but at least there we had a choice of restaurants when we did get in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. You're too nice when you give them credit for bringing such a piddly pizza offering. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Mom

Tracy said...

I'll remember your experience the next time I complain about being four hours late for take-off! Well, you know what they say about having grace under fire...

On the other hand, it seems like you got to enjoy a little of B.C. (reminds me, too, that I actually miss hockey games!
).