Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tornados

It was another exciting night of strong thunderstorms last night.  The sirens woke Sid up around 3 AM.  I was awake but still didn't notice them.  We had 70 MPH winds and tornados.  My co-worker watched the tornado go past his house and right towards ours.  We lost some fence, a bunch of shingles and both trees and light poles in the neighborhood (but not ours).  The power we out for four or five hours -- long enough to delay school for the kids.

The real chaos for me is really at work.  I was planning on taking the day off.  I have a dental appointment this morning and then Sheela has hers this afternoon.  We usually schedule together but had to give that up for our vacation.  Instead of staying home I had to go in.  We lost power to the freezers around 6am but we don't know how long it was out.  I have to find out and then evaluate the condition of the frozen products.  The cleanroom also needs to be evaluated.  That power was out for 20 minutes.  And we lost the only server in the building old enough to run the label programs.  I will have to in and work through lunch to get around that.

3 comments:

Ida Lau said...

Wow! That's a close call on the tornado!!

-lyn said...

Holy Cow!

Tracy said...

I still marvel at tornados, having heard lots and seen none - and Brian has had to fill me in on their destructiveness. Too bad you had to work, and we hope everything got sorted out.