Tuesday, November 25, 2008

too much to chew

I believe I may have gotten slightly ahead of myself with books and such.  As I've noted before I prefer to work out while listening to books on tape so that I can stop them, start them and move them back and forth from my walkman to my car stereo without losing my place.  However the local library stopped buying books on tape years ago and switched to books on CD.  The CDs are typically divided up in to tracks that can be 30-40 minutes long.  If I try to transfer it from a portable CD player to the car or back I may end up repeating nearly a whole chapter only to have it be time to switch back again.  Anyhow the library has given up on the books on CD too by now and is buying "playaways" individual books on small MP3 players.  The MP3 can be restarted without losing my place but can't be played through my car stereo.  However, I've listened to nearly every book on tape from our library that interests me at all and quite a few that didn't.  So I've decided to move ahead.  I'm taking the MP3 for the work out and the books on CD to listen to in the car.  This means that I'm jumping from story to story but at least not losing my place.  This weekend I went to the library to restock and a came out with some pretty good stuff.  I started a new book last night (don't know the name or the author but it would be classified as a light comedy), I started a new MP3 this morning (murder mystery – Something Blood), and I started a new CD for the car (also a murder mystery – accidental something), and then as if that weren't too much already I picked up a recommendation from a friend at lunch (Decoding the Universe: How the New Science of Information Is Explaining Everything in the Cosmos, from Our Brains to Black Holes by Charles Seife) and started to read it while eating my steak burrito bowl with guac in the car.  My brain is swimming a little bit now.

No comments: