Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Town and Country

Roughly halfway through our 1800 mile roadtrip the new van gave out. We had to jump start the van to get out of Mom's driveway. Sure we could have left something turned on for the two days we left it in their garage or maybe Mom just tampered with it to keep us from taking the kids back away.... hmmmm. In either case, the van, once running, didn't give us anymore trouble at least not that day. Two days later we got to jump it again. We also got to jump it at a gas station in Arkansas, and thought we'd have to a few other times when the battery was weak but it pulled through at the last minute.

We stopped at Auto Zone on the way home for a free diagnostic check. According to their certified technician the battery, the alternator and the starter are fine. Monday morning the van starts up with no problem and I take it to the dealer. They called later to tell me that a wire was loose but its all fixed up now.

Tuesday night the car doesn't start again. Wednesday morning was another close call, but I did get it going and get it over to the dealer (again). It doesn't start when they try it (at least now they believe me) and they've decided that it's the battery. The car has 35,909 miles on it. The battery has a three year or 36,000 mile warranty on it. I don't actually think the problem is the battery, but I'll take the new battery anyway. I'm sure I'll be up there again in a few days. Luckily its walking distance from my office. I say luckily because there was a 45 minute wait for the courtesy shuttle today. I was at my desk in less than 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Well - I have to agree with you that it probably isn't the battery. I do hope that the dealer can find and repair the problem whatever it is though...