Friday, December 29, 2006

Books on tape

Last Spring my friend Lynn gave me two of the three Tales of the Otori on CD. I enjoyed them both so much that I held off buying the last book because I wanted to get it on CD too. But I found it at a great price at our local used bookstore, better even than that they had the second book two. Someday I'll buy the first one and complete the set but for know I "re"reading the second and then moving on in to the third. All of this set up was to say that I'm enjoying the second one every bit as much reading it myself as I did having it read to me, but because I heard it first the voices in my head and the rhythm of the words aren't mine. The voices alternate between a man and a woman both of whom have Japanese accents and the rhythm is much more musical.

On a related topic there was a segment on NPR the other day about the death of woman in the Seattle floods last month. Hers was a well known voice, she had recorded hundreds of books on tape. I did not recognize, or remember, her name but they played a voice clip of some of her work and I could immediately think of three books that she surely did.

No comments: