Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Insomnia.....

I like to think of myself as nearly a world class sleeper but I woke up at 2:00AM and was completely unable to go back to sleep. Normally I'd have grabbed a book and done some reading but I finished The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe before I went to sleep. I'm not ready to start anything else (I have promised to assist with the paperwork tonight and being in the middle of a book that I want to finish just makes me crabby). I gave up around 4:00AM and decided to go for a walk. It's still pretty humid (not to mention all of the automatic lawn-sprinkles were on) but it was a wonderful 70 degrees. I haven't felt that good outside in months. I walked to Celebration Park (the center of our soccer world and the sprayground) and then I walked back the other way to the donut shop. I timed my arrival for 5:00AM sharp and had to wait for the donuts to be glazed (she gave me a mini-kolache to hold me over). I brought back donuts and more kolaches for breakfast. The whole walk took a little over an hour - I saw only five cars (and one dog walker) the whole time and all of them were between the donut shop and the house. I gave up counting the rabbits - they were everywhere. I only saw one bat but I'm hoping that we are on the early edge of the migration. We just got the bat house up last weekend.... by the way it fits perfectly under the eave of the 12 pitch shed roof. I'll try to get a picture of the bat house tonight. Well I'm at work and it's time to get serious... I need to work fast today I may crash mid-afternoon.

4 comments:

-lyn said...

I was out walking late last night too. I had left my car at the Rec Center after tennis practice yesterday afternoon and walked home. I do this so I will have to walk back later to get it. I know, I know, I could just walk to tennis and back, but I hate carrying my raquet and balls and water and all that. I "had" to watch the US Open tennis women's quarterfinals on TV before I could go out again, so it was quite late. I took a flashlight and actually used it (mainly to be sure I wouldn't be stepping on any skunks ... the night air was slightly malordorous a couple of places along my route.) It was sooo dark, and wonderful, and no traffic at all. Not even any that I could hear. The cicadas were in fine form, and the stars were glorious.

-lyn said...

Oh, and what's a kolach?

Team Sharma said...

Kolaches are small sausages wrapped in a light pastry. There is usually some cheese in there too and occaisionally a jalapeno.

-lyn said...

Hmmm sounds yummy. I'm pretty sure they don't have them here in East Tennessee.