Sunday, September 11, 2005

Splendor Odessi

Sheela and I went with the Sharmas to a dance program last night. This troop is from the state of Orissi (Northwestern India). The costumes were similar, but different, from the dancing that Sheela did and the dancers are mostly men instead of women. The older man that runs the school and i the head dancer came out first to dance the invoccation. When I think of male dancers I think of Mikhail Baryshnikov, not the fat, shirtless Green Bay packers fan with the green and gold "G" on his chest in drag. Honestly, once you get used to the diamond bicep bands, bracelets, necklaces and dangling earings the man was a wonderful dancer, they all were. But his costume was edged with green and gold and the stripes ran right up his belly. It was an interesting night and we had a good time. I wish I'd gotten a picture of Sheela in her Punjabi dress to show you. The one that she chose was burgundy crepe with lots of black bead work -- very sparkly.

1 comment:

-lyn said...

Hmm ... I really wish you'd gotten a picture of the dancer!!!